This week on ‘An Interview with WiseOceans’ we spoke with Anupa Asokan, Director of Ocean Impact for Bureo
Name: Anupa Asokan
Role: Director of Ocean Impact: Marine Science & Policy Consultant
Top Tip: Stay true to your values and let that guide your work
Quick Fire Questions
1. What inspired you to pursue a career in marine conservation?
I’ve always enjoyed fishing, snorkelling and other ocean activities and am passionate about protecting this environment for future generations and for the health of our planet
2. What steps did you take or are you currently taking to achieve your career goals?
I pursued a masters degree in science and in business, and have pursued specific passions outside of my career through volunteering and enjoying the ocean. I’ve also been led by and held true to strong values for what meaningful conservation should be, with respect for Indigenous and marginalized communities
3. How did you obtain your current position?
I was recruited through work I had done in supporting a larger ocean conservation coalition of organizations
4. Which part of your job do you enjoy the most?
I enjoy working with my amazing and engaged colleagues, who are also passionate about the work we do. Secondly, I also believe in the mission and values of Bureo, so my job is very rewarding personally also.
5. Are there aspects of your position which make you feel that you are really ‘making a difference’?
My job is about making a difference—making the ocean healthier for everyone to benefit
6. What do you know now that you wish you knew when you were starting out?
It’s a career path not a journey— you learn just as much about what you DON’T like as what you do enjoy in each position along the way
7. Are there any skills you never thought you would need but did?
At a previous role, for CIMI, I learned how to be resourceful and how to be a good communicator and these skills have come in handy at every job I’ve had since
8. What advice would you give to budding marine conservationists?
Stay true to your values and let that guide your work
9. What is your favourite marine creature and why?
Squid – they are the most athletic molluscs, but, whale sharks are VERY cool also
10. What is your most unforgettable moment in the sea?
Swimming with whale sharks in the Gulf of California, crying tears of excitement and joy into my snorkel mask
Read more An Interview Blogs here
Sign up for our Weekly free Job Alert here