This week on ‘An Interview with WiseOceans’ we spoke with Toni Pickering, our very own Sales & Marketing Manager!
Name: Toni Pickering
Role: Sales & Marketing Manager
Top Tip: Do not underestimate the power of networking, be bold, and brave!
Quick Fire Questions
1. What inspired you to pursue a career in marine conservation?
I have always wanted to work in conservation, either marine or terrestrial, so when I was offered the opportunity of interning at WiseOceans, I took it. I enjoyed it that much that I have since gone from intern to part-time and from part-time to full-time!
2. What steps did you take or are you currently taking to achieve your career goals?
I undertook a degree in Zoology, volunteered with Operation Wallacea, and then volunteered with WiseOceans themselves! That is in addition to my professional experiences in Sales and Marketing, outside the industry of conservation
3. How did you obtain your current position?
I volunteered for WiseOceans as a Social Media intern for several months before being offered a permanent, part-time position
4. Which part of your job do you enjoy the most?
Working alongside all employees – each day is different, and my tasks are wide-ranging, which can be daunting, but is also incredibly exciting
5. Are there aspects of your position which make you feel that you are really ‘making a difference’?
Receiving feedback from inspired children, grateful graduates or guests about how much they enjoyed our services always makes me feel proud to work for WiseOceans
6. What do you know now that you wish you knew when you were starting out?
To be bold, and brave! Message people, inquire, ask, just never stop talking to people in the sector – networking really is incredibly important
7. Are there any skills you never thought you would need but did?
I appreciate it sounds biased, and it likely is, but Sales and Marketing! Also, excellent communication (verbal and written) skills are hugely important
8. What advice would you give to budding marine conservationists?
Find out what you like and are good at (which will hopefully be similar!) and pursue them. There is no point dedicating yourself to something you truly do not enjoy. Discover yourself, and then you will find the right role, and company, for you
9. What is your favourite marine creature and why?
The Tiger Shark! As a child I was first fascinated by big cats. As I moved into an ocean obsession, I was overjoyed to find out that there was a tiger shark
10. What is your most unforgettable moment in the sea?
I have only had the pleasure of diving several times, during my expedition to Mozambique with Operation Wallacea. The first time I dove, I was just transfixed. The memory will stay with me forever, and I am looking forward to making more memories soon
Read more An Interview Blogs here
Sign up for our Weekly free Job Alert here