Marine Conservation Portugal
While diving into the Atlantic Ocean, you will get the chance to help its conservation by collecting trash and monitoring species
About the organisation
ImpacTrip is a social enterprise, certified as B-Corp, that promotes Responsible Travel Experiences in Portugal, Spain, Croatia, Italy, and Greece. The company was founded in 2015 by two dedicated social entrepreneurs that wanted to change the way people travel. ImpacTrip combines incredible travel experiences with the ability to make a positive social and environmental impact. We really want travellers to have the most unique and meaningful travel experiences. We help them to connect with the locals, to experience the culture and to contribute in a positive way to the local communities and environmental conservation initiatives, while making friends from all over the world.
About the programme
In this program you will not only have the opportunity to learn and share insights about the importance of the marine ecosystem, but you can also actively participate in its protection! During your stay, you will learn how to dive and how to collect trash from the Atlantic Ocean, and will understand how to sort it and why conservation is important. Last year alone, our divers collected 588 kgs of trash! Our main aim is to clean as much trash as possible and to raise awareness to this issue so we don’t have anything to collect in the future!
The tasks include, but are not limited to:
1. Dive in the Atlantic ocean;
2. Collect trash from the seabed at each dive, carry it back to the diving centre to sort it
and give a proper destination to it;
3. Take internationally recognized diving certifications:
4. Learn about the pollution problem, marine ecosystems and how we can protect it;
5. Educate the local community about environmental issues, conservation and
protection of biodiversity and marine resources such as food;
6. Logging information and monitoring marine species and algeas
7. Clean up the shore and the beaches.
Lisbon is near the beach, near the mountain and is a great starting point to travel the rest of the country. Enjoy climbing in Arrábida, festivals all summer, diving in Peniche, hiking in Monsanto Park and Sintra, visit some of the best museums in Europe,, join a great variety of sports at your choice, enjoy swimming and surfing at the beach (warning: the water is cold) or participate in yoga classes in relaxing places! Check our activities at Impact Beach House, where you will be staying- there is a lot to do!
Volunteers will be accommodated in a dormitory-style sustainable hostel in Estoril, a beach town located 35 minutes away from Lisbon’s city centre by train! And the hostel is a 5 min walk from the train station. This sustainable hotel has dormitory-style rooms accommodating from 6-14 participants (single gender) and private rooms (available for upgrades upon request. Bathrooms are shared). Wi-fi is freely available in the hostel, and of course in many cafes and restaurants in the area. In and around the house there are big common areas to relax and meet other people from all over the world!
We are extremely dedicated to its sustainable concept, making it an integrated part of how this hostel works and the experience that you will have. Feel free to ask us about our environmental measures and to give us new ideas!
From the 4th of March to the 27th of September – from 1 to 8 weeks
Costs and pre-requisites
1st week: 1430€
Following weeks: 775€
Documents: Dive certification and the total number of dives you’ve done (if applicable)
Medical Approval (sent by us – medical form specific for diving)
1. Pick up at Lisbon International Airport & transfer to the accommodation– Sunday. On Sunday, the ImpacTrip team will be at the airport waiting for you with a big sign and a smile on their face! If you arrive prior to Sunday, you will still be able to receive an airport pickup and our team can transport you to the accommodation, but you will need to pay an extra fee for this
service. We will reach out to you by WhatsApp a few days before your start date to connect
2. Accommodation at a female or male dormitory at an impactful hostel;
3. Three meals a day everyday: breakfast, lunch, and dinner (Vegetarian, gluten-free and meals for lactose-intolerant are also available upon request);
4. Shared use of common room, outdoor area, garden, and free Wi-Fi;
5. Orientation session on Monday (including an introduction to Portugal and its culture, volunteer experience, overview of programs, practical information, safety guidelines);
6. SIM card;
7. Sustainable guided city tour;
8. The best tips to discover the city;
9. Allocation and coordination of a work placement in an impactful non-profit project;
10. All the necessary diving equipment, SSI diving classes and certified instructors, SSI diving certifications according to the diving experience;
11. Ongoing support throughout the stay;
12. 24h/7 emergency support;
How to apply