Marine Conservation Spain
Dive into marine conservation in Barcelona and make a real difference in the Mediterranean! Whether you’re new to diving or experienced, join us for a transformative journey, from seabed cleanups to protecting marine life. Ready to dive deeper for a cause?
About the organisation
ImpacTrip is a social enterprise, certified as B-Corp, that promotes Responsible Travel Experiences in Portugal, Spain, Croatia, Italy, and Greece. The company was founded in 2015 by two dedicated social entrepreneurs that wanted to change the way people travel. ImpacTrip combines incredible travel experiences with the ability to make a positive social and environmental impact. We really want travellers to have the most unique and meaningful travel experiences. We help them to connect with the locals, to experience the culture and to contribute in a positive way to the local communities and environmental conservation initiatives, while making friends from all over the world.
About the programme
Barcelona has lived on the sea and for the sea and its coastline represents a place with a wide range of resources and activities for locals and passengers. However, this relation with the sea has caused the coastal seabed to be severely affected by the presence of large amounts of urban marine waste which has been threatening marine species and destroying the ecosystem.
As a marine conservation volunteer, you’ll be using and improving your scuba diving skills while being actively involved in restoring the natural state of the marine ecosystem of Catalonia and the wider Mediterranean Sea. Marine Conservation volunteers in Spain have the opportunity to join a non-profit diving club in a variety of projects with social and environmental impact in order to provide support to underwater conservation efforts and to help tackle and reduce ocean pollution.
The tasks include, but are not limited to:
1. Clean-up the seabed to reduce the marine debris- equipped with diving equipment and nets;
2. Logging information on items and trash collected;
3. Remove the marine living organisms from the trash collected and put it back in the sea;
4. Document and collect information of fauna- fish and invertebrate species- in a monitored biodiverse area as part of a scientific research project;
5. Learning more about the marine ecosystem and how to protect it and collect and register information of the biodiversity in an ecosystem created with the natural colonisation of a former dismantled thermal power plant.
6. If you volunteer during Summer, you might also have the opportunity to help in the summer camps for kids in risk of marginalisation or with less opportunities through assisting with their dives or developing workshops about the sea and the environment
The program is open to everyone with any or none diving experience. All volunteers complete the internationally recognized CMAS (World Underwater Federation) diving certifications. The diving certification you complete will depend on your current diving experience and the length of your stay. The project works with a local diving club, therefore you are always supervised by an experienced dive instructor.
Spain is a country with a long historical and cultural heritage being reflected on the food, architecture, people and language. Its second biggest city, Barcelona, is an enchanting seaside city with boundless culture, fabled architecture, sun-drenched beaches and picturesque neighbourhoods. Combine relaxing, exploring, meeting people and enjoying the weather!
Every month there’s a different celebration or main event in the city. If you happen to be around, check the festivities calendar for that month! Most likely there will be vibrant happenings.
Volunteers will stay accommodated at a space with a meaningful mission in Barcelona: the hostel is a social business for a non-profit! The non-profit develops a wide range of programs, campaigns and activities for children and youth, their families and third sector organisations. There are various common areas such as a dining room, a living room, balconies and outside areas. The accommodation is located in a neighbourhood where volunteers can find everything they need: a mall, local coffee shops, supermarkets, ATMs, hospital, police and most utilities you will need are just around the corner. The Hostel is 5 minutes walking from the metro station and has many buses and a tranvia that can bring you to the city centre in 10 minutes.
All year round – from 1 to 12 weeks.
Costs and pre-requisites
Following weeks: 775€
Documents: Dive certification and the total number of dives you’ve done
Medical Approval (sent by us – medical form specific for diving)
1. Pick up at Barcelona International Airport & public transportation transfer to the accommodation– Sunday. On Sunday, the ImpacTrip team will be at the airport waiting for you with a big sign and a smile on their face! If you arrive prior to Sunday, you will still be able to receive an airport pickup and our team can transport you, via public transport, to the accommodation, but you will need to pay an extra fee for this service. We will reach out to you by WhatsApp a few days before your start date to connect
2. Accommodation at a female or mixed dormitory with a private bathroom at a hostel with a social mission
3. We will provide breakfast and lunch at the hostel everyday. The hostel restaurant offers meals with fresh local ingredients everyday for all volunteers in a very Spanish style and they are prepared to accommodate most diet restrictions such as vegan and vegetarian, gluten-free and lactose intolerance. For dinner, you can either explore the city or use the kitchen at the accommodation;
4. Shared use of common room, outdoor area, and free Wi-Fi;
5. Orientation session on Monday (including an introduction to Spain and its culture, volunteer experience, overview of programs, practical information, safety guidelines);
6. Responsible guided city tour;
7. The best tips to discover the city!
8. Allocation and coordination of a work placement in an impactful non-profit project;
9. All the necessary diving equipment, CMAS diving classes and certified instructors, CMAS diving certifications according to the diving experience;
10. Ongoing support throughout
How to apply